BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Bob Banks


I remember one time many years ago Steve and I were discussing bathroom strategy (don't ask why) with another person whom I don't recall, and this other person mentioned that they are usually out of 'there' within a minute. To which Steve incredulously remarked, "How do you get any reading done?" He wasn't joking.

Anyone who's ever entered a bathroom in a Steve Edwards residence is bound to find an impressive stack of literature. Usually in the form of various cycling, climbing and running rags, sports equipment catalogues and the occasional scientific journal. No Playboys in this bathroom, cause we all know, you don't really 'read' those, and what else does one do on the can?

The Challenge:

• 50 magazine pages/newspaper articles read in the bathroom in 50 before Nov. 1st (bonus points if someone is waiting to get in the bathroom)

While this challenge may indeed seem odd to most, for anyone who's ever lived with Steve it will make perfect sense. I think it was his brother Brian who told the story of having breakfast at some diner in LA a few years back when Steve noticed an opening at the bathroom in the back of the restaurant. He excused himself from the table, snatched a newspaper off the counter and headed back to the facilities. In a crowded restaurant. Who else but Steve Edwards can pull that move off?
I'm one of those people who are "out of there within a minute”. For a variety of reasons, it's just not a place I want to spend my time, let alone catch up on the latest news in the cycling world. Therein lies the challenge and as I write this Challenge Report, it has proved to be an undertaking of monumental effort. I began strong, about a page a day, but was interrupted by a 20 day trip to Italy, where English language literature was difficult to come by, and now with only 9 days left, I’m not sure if I can make it. This may very well prove to be the hardest challenge I’ve ever undertaken, but I feel something coming on right now, so it looks like I should go get some reading done.

PS: As an aside, I will be doing a second Challenge in the 50 hours prior to Steve’s birthday, beginning at 10:00pm Friday Nov. 19th and finishing by midnight Nov. 21st.

1. 50 miles running
2. 50 miles single speed mountain biking
3. 500 pull-ups / 500 push-ups / 500 ab exercises
4. 50 boulder problems (10 V5 or harder)
5. 10 mile ocean paddle

This will be a difficult undertaking as well, although with far less chance of having my legs fall asleep.

Happy birthday Manny. And to make sure you know Bob was serious about the "aside" challenge, click here for a full report.

8 comments:

Reedster said...

I think the most sandbagged I got from Steve is when visited when I lived in my first place in Redlands. I got up and was in the shower in the morning. Steve walked in, with reading material, of course, and proceeded to take a dump. Not only did it ruin the mood for my shower it also smelled, like, well.. shit. What a way to ruin a nice shower.

Still, I probably tend more towards Steve than Bob when it comes to taking a dump.

~Stinker

Steve Edwards said...

For the record, the diner encounter had a pretty funny punchline issed by Largo that was something along the lines of "He's marching off to the bathroom like Al Bundy."

I have no recollection of the Redlands encouter. There are two rational possibilities for this, as it seems out of character for even me.

First is that I was so hungover (assuming this was morning) that I didn't notice someone in the shower. Second, it could be Imbiber lore. Reed attests that Phil would make instant coffee in the mornings in order to wake himself up enough to brew proper coffee. He also states that Phil, upon finding their abode devoid of coffee, went back to bed until new stock arrived the next day. Phil firmly states these are not true but, dammit, they should be.

Finally, what you read in the can is of the upmost importance. Certain literature is deemed of poor taste when perused in other locations. This includes both climbing and cycling magazines,the entire "men's adventure" genre (note: thanks to Belt and The Kid for introducing me to the Hawker series, read entirely in the John), and anything written by or about William Shatner.

bob banks said...

If only I could've tracked down those Hawker novels, it would've been a far better challenge.

Steve Edwards said...

Nothing like a little time alone in the loo with a bottle of Tuborg and Vegas Vengeance.

Aaron said...

I want Romney's comment on this.

Lisa Romney said...

"How gross. I feel bad for whoever married that guy." Shoot. Sandbagged.

Pukster said...

Does reading a book in a porta potty count 2 fold or 10 fold?

Unknown said...

Nice Chemex, H!